Social Media Usage in an Increasingly Technological Society: Why Fight It?

The debate over technology, specifically cell phone usage in the classroom is constantly being argued, with advocates of both sides feeling very strongly about their respective opinions. Some believe that social media is ruining our lives and we have become so connected to our phones and social media, which has been designed to specifically get us addicted to using the sites and gaining “likes” on them, therefore phones should be outright banned in schools (Willett, 2019). However, others will say that instead of banning phone use, there should be a better plan to control students using their phones, even saying that they could be beneficial to the learning experience (Klein, 2019).

In my opinion, I think that schools should not outright ban phones in schools, as there is a benefit to technology integration in the classroom. For example, teachers can design specific lessons that combine technology and learning in a healthy way, such as by having students create social media accounts for historical figures and reenacting what they learned about them (Previte, 2020). Technology and cell phone usage can also be used in the classroom to teach lessons through websites such as Nearpod or Peardeck which require students to take an active role in the lesson through interactive features the teacher can implement into the lesson. As our society continues to become more reliant on technology and develop and improve upon existing technology, I do not see any reason why schools should be outright banning cell phones from schools. Instead, they could promote healthy usage of social media to students.

It is an unrealistic view to think that students will adhere to cell phone or social media bans at school. Instead, teachers should aim to guide their students with healthy social media habits to follow. The Tips for Healthy Social Media Use for Parents and Teens, give simple, yet helpful tips such as telling teens to not post when they are feeling strong emotions, setting time limits on certain apps such as Instagram or TikTok if they are feeling increasingly reliant, or ditching their phone when hanging out with friends or family so they do not feel the urge to check it (Tips for Healthy Social Media Use: For Parents and Teens, 2023). By promoting these healthy behaviors, teens will be more likely to pick up on them and set them to use in their own lives, which will make a difference in the long run.

References

Klein, A. (2019, September 6). Schools say no to cell phones. But is it a smart move? Education Week. https://www.edweek.org/technology/schools-say-no-to-cellphones-in-class-but-is-it-a-smart-move/2019/09

Previte, A. (2020, Febuary 4). Harnessing the Influence of Social Media in the Classroom. Resilient Educator. https://resilienteducator.com/classroom-resources/harnessing-social-media-classroom/

Tips for Healthy Social Media Use: For Parents and Teens (2023, January 20). University of Utah Health. https://healthcare.utah.edu/healthfeed/2023/01/tips-healthy-social-media-use-parents-and-teens

Willett, R. (Director). (2019). Plugged-In: The Toxicity of Social Media Revealed. [YouTube Video]. Brick in the Wall Media.

Image from: https://www.teachthought.com/technology/6-ways-social-media-will-change-classroom/

2 Comments on Social Media Usage in an Increasingly Technological Society: Why Fight It?

1. Sthenia
    April 17, 2024 at 11:57 pm (1 month ago)

Hi Gabby, you mentioned a lot of good points to support your position on schools banning phones. I agree with you 100%, I do not think that schools should completely ban students from having their phones in school. I understand that these cellular devices can indeed be a distraction and can have a negative effect on the student’s health, however, by banning phones it can come off as a very harsh punishment and provoke the wrong messages. I feel like there should be restrictions instead so the students can use them during breaks and during lunch. This method will also show the students that as educators we care for their wellbeing and just want them to acknowledge their unhealthy attachment to their phones. You mention the excessive use of technology being used to access Nearpod and Peardeck. This is indeed important to take note of because educators use technology every day in classes to better teach their students. I like the fact that you provided an article for parents so they can know how to deal with their own children’s obsession with the media. After gathering all this information on social media/cell phone bans, would you consider yourself addicted to your phone? Would you ever consider doing a fast from social media?

Reply
  2. annb21
    May 13, 2024 at 1:58 pm (6 days ago)

Hi Gabby, this was a great blog post! I think your opinion is very strongly created and is very clear. I liked your examples of teachers combining technology with their lessons to make them interactive. That’s an important part of the modern-day world, and encouraging students to learn responsible usage is such important knowledge. I wonder if there are ways to promote healthy cell phone behaviors in schools through modeling, the teacher taking part in whatever cellphone rules the classroom has set. Could that be useful? How would you incorporate that in your classroom, or would you at all? One issue I see with your post is that you fail to acknowledge how vast the internet can be. A student may have peardeck pulled up, and be searching the web on the the other tab. How would you teach them responsible in-class phone usage, and more importantly, how would you enforce it. I think you did a great job at this and you make a strong argument for having cellphones and technology in schools.

Reply