Blog Post Six: Mindfulness in the Classroom

https://flip.com/s/UDgspyngEc7r

References

Long, R. (director/ producer). (2012) Room To Breathe [film]. ZAP Zoetrope Aubry Productions.

Schwartz, K. (2019). Nine ways to ensure your mindfulness teaching is trauma informed. KQED Mindshift. LinkLinks to an external site.

NY Social Emotional Learning Benchmarks- Equity Revisions (2022 November 14). New York State Department of Education.https://www.p12.nysed.gov/sss/documents/SELBenchmarks2022.pdf

Why is Mindfulness Needed in Education. (n.d.). Mindful Schools. LinkLinks to an external site.

2 Comments on Blog Post Six: Mindfulness in the Classroom

1. Nallely varags Linares
    April 1, 2024 at 2:04 am (2 months ago)

Hi Gabby,
    I really enjoyed your vlog. I liked that you mentioned what you disliked about the app. I believe that mentioning what you dislike about something is very important. It gives us, the viewers, a clearer image of what you intake with the app. Do you believe that outside issues that some students have may affect the results of the meditation or mindfulness activities that they may do in classrooms? I know you mentioned that these activities will help them reach their goals. Just as we saw and you mentioned in your vlog, some teachers were just worn out because their students did not want to do the exercise. So, could this possibly negatively affect the results? Overall, I think you did an amazing job. You gave a lot of feedback. As I said, feedback is nice at times because it helps you when you go to do something. Like downloading a mindfulness app. Backing off from this, maybe you could have stated which other apps we could use instead of this one. I know sometimes we do not know them off the top of our heads, but perhaps you could have mentioned more about this. But in the end, you did a great job!

Reply
  2. annb21
    April 3, 2024 at 7:59 pm (2 months ago)

Hi Gabby,
    great vlog! I can tell you put alot of work into it. I liked your description of the app “Headspace”. You did a good job with the summary of what they offer, what the limits are, and what the benefits are. I really felt a comprehensive understanding of it and how it can be useful in a classroom setting. Did you consider if you personally would use an app like this as a teacher with your students? I wonder if it would help the students as much as it helped you because of the age difference. You did a good job reflecting on your own experiences with meditation. How would you personally meet the NYS SEL standards with your future students specifically? Could you possibly include a different mindfulness activity each day at the beginning of the class, or do you have a different idea? All in all, I think this was a really good vlog and you did a great job with the assignment this week!

Reply